The Best of Suffolk
Our restaurant aims to provide traditional local dishes using the finest of seasonal home-grown ingredients from the very best of local suppliers. In every sense, The Best of Suffolk.
The rationale is simple – our locals and regulars are proud of the produce of Suffolk and love traditional local dishes. Our hotel guests from further afield travel to Woodbridge for the history of the town, the beautiful countryside and of course to sample the local food and drink.
The best food starts with the best of ingredients - using the freshest of seasonal produce with low food miles also fits into our ethos of being conscious of our impact on the environment and ethically aware in terms of our impact on supporting the local community. Our philosophy is simple: -
There is a beautiful rhythm to the year and our senses of nostalgia often awakens with the sights, smells and tastes of the seasons. From summer salads to winter stews, the seasons choose the best for us.
If you want the freshest most vibrant ingredients - then local is best. 90% of our fresh ingredients can be sourced within a sixty-minute drive from Woodbridge. Fresh not flown.
Mindful meat – our aim is for the farmers we use to have a positive impact on the Suffolk countryside. Where possible we use organic, grass-fed cattle, Blythburgh pork is free range and local, our free-range chicken is from Stowmarket, we use world-famous Gressingham Duck and a few local gamekeepers for seasonal game. There is no reason to travel further afield when you can find the best produce here in sunny Suffolk.
Sustainably caught fish from our local ports in Lowestoft, Orford and Felixstowe. Day boats not trawlerboats.
Minimise packaging and recycle what we can – our cardboard, plastics, glass and tins are all recycled. We hope you can forgive the trays stacked in the car park but these are re-used by our local suppliers and have minimal packaging. Ugly fruit not ugli fruit.
Some of our local suppliers:
• Alder Carr Farm Ice Cream (15 miles)
• Anglia Produce for breads (22 miles)
• Bakehouse breads (1 mile)
• Blythburgh Free Range Pork (22 miles)
• Burnt Mill Brewery (16 miles)
• Cleveleys (22 miles)
• Clarks (22 miles)
• Creaseys butcher (1 mile)
• Danbury rapeseed oil - recycled after use (45 miles)
• Diaper Poultry Farm, Stowmarket (21 miles)
• Giffords Hall Vineyard, Suffolk (38 miles)
• Green Jack Brewery (36 miles)
• Harvey & Co, Rendlesham (7 miles)
• Heart of Suffolk Gins (23 miles)
• Havensfield Farm Free-Range Eggs (24 miles)
• Hill Farm for rapeseed oils, seeds and honey (22 miles)
• Mauldons Brewery (34 miles)
• Pinneys of Orford (12 miles)
• Sutton Hoo Chicken (4 miles)
• Virginia Farm Nurseries for fruit & veg (5 miles)•